Vitamin C is perhaps the most versatile of all the vitamins and minerals essential for the human body. Many dermatologists and nutritionists believe it’s the secret to solving many health problems. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties have proven benefits on the skin too. It moisturizes the skin, improves its texture and tone and reduces visible aging signs like wrinkles and sagging skin.
There are many natural sources of Vitamin C, like vegetables and fruits. Many brands use Kakadu plum or Yuzu lemon, both potent sources of Vitamin C, to curate the best skincare products. Research has shown that applying Vitamin C as a skin treatment solution gives better results than direct consumption. Adding this ingredient to a holistic skincare routine brightens your complexion and protects it against damage from harmful particles, cellular disintegration, and sun exposure.
Benefits of Using Vitamin C For Your Skin:
To brighten a dull complexion or reduce sunspots, a daily skincare solution doesn’t get better than with Vitamin C. Let’s break down its benefits for your skin.
- Even skin tone: It reduces the appearance of dark spots, hyperpigmentation and uneven tan, giving you an even skin tone.
- Brightens skin: Vitamin C reduces the amount of melanin produced by pigment skin cells and aids in skin brightening and boosts radiance.
- Rich in antioxidants: It keeps your skin healthy and protects it from harmful sun rays.
- Smoother skin: Vitamin C stimulates collagen production. Collagen makes your skin more elastic, smoother, plump and healthy. It keeps wrinkles away and provides even-looking and smooth skin.
- Protects the skin: Vitamin C creates a line of defense for the upper skin layer called the epidermis and protects it against oxidative damage.
How to Tell if Your Skin Needs Vitamin C?
If you’re facing the following problems, including Vitamin C in your skincare routine may be beneficial:
- Dry and dull skin
- Under-eye circles
- Excessive sun exposure and damage like sunburn
How to create a Vitamin C skincare routine?
The following steps can help you create a perfect Vitamin C skincare routine:
- Start by cleansing your face with a Vitamin C face wash. This step will help remove dirt, grime and pollution accumulated over the face to give you clean skin.
- Apply a Vitamin C serum evenly over your face and neck and leave for 1-2 minutes. As serums have smaller molecules, they get absorbed quickly to give best results. Try Lotus Herbals WhiteGlow Vitamin-C + Gold Radiance Serum to get the benefits of Kakadu plum, Yuzu lemon, and 24 Karat Gold leaves. It effectively revives the dull complexion and imparts a gold-like radiance.
- Use a generous amount of lightweight ultra-hydrating Vitamin C cream to prevent dryness and provides much-needed moisture to your skin.
- End your skincare routine by creating a protective layer of sunscreen.
Using Vitamin C the Right Way:
1. Find the right concentration.
To get the best results and give your skin the dosage it needs, you must first understand what your skin needs and how much it can handle. If you are creating a summer routine for skin care, start with a low concentration of Vitamin C, about 10%. As the heat progresses and you better understand your skin type and tolerance, you can increase this to 15-20%. If your skin is dry or sensitive, use products with magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, a water-soluble form of Vitamin C. Oily and normal skin benefit from L-ascorbic acid, which is one of the most potent Vitamin C forms out there.
If you’re feeling confused, go with Vitamin C products with natural ingredients. They’re generally safe for all skin types.
2. Start your routine slowly.
No matter which form of Vitamin C you use for your skin, make sure you start slow so that your skin stays healthy. Start with a testing phase or by correctly identifying your skin type. Add the new product(s) to your regimen gradually. See how your skin responds to this product and adjust its application accordingly. If it feels light, plump and tight, it’s a good thing. If it causes roughness, breakouts or patches, reevaluate the products. However, don’t expect drastic results immediately. Visible results of Vitamin C for your skin will only start showing after 6-8 weeks.
3. Store your products safely.
If you are getting, for example, a Vitamin C serum for the face, make sure you store your products correctly. Vitamin C products can come as anhydrous (without water) and water-based products. A water-based product is more unstable and light-sensitive, so you often find it in opaque containers. An anhydrous product is comparatively more stable. Follow proper storage instructions for longer shelf life and better results with whichever product you get.
Vitamin C can aid in healing blemishes, reducing hyperpigmentation and giving you a radiant glow. For best results, stay diligent and committed to the process. The best vitamin C products by brands such as Lotus Herbals contain no toxic chemicals and no parabens, so choosing the best skin care products is no longer a difficult task.